Goals :The goal of postgraduate training in periodontology is to train a B.D.S graduate who will:
- Practice periodontal specialty efficiently and effectively, backed by scientific knowledge and skill.
- Exercise empathy and a caring attitude and maintain high ethical standards.
- Continue to evince keen interest in continuing professional education in the specialty and allied specialties irrespective of whether in teaching or practice.
- Applied periodontal indices: 10 CASES
- Comprehensive Case History (Full records) : 20 CASES
- Scaling and root planing (SRP)
- Hand : 50CASES
- Ultrasonic : 150CASES
- Curettage : 10 CASES
- Gingivectomy : 20 CASES
- Gingivoplasty : 10 CASES
- Minor Surgical Procedures : 15 CASES
- Case history and treatment planning : 10CASES
- Local Drug Delivery techniques : 5CASES
- Periodontal surgical procedures : 40CASES
- Pocket therapy
- Muco-gingival surgeries
- Implants (2 implants and restorations)
- Management of perio endo problems
- Occlusal adjustments : 10 CASES
- Perio splints : 10 CASES
- Regenerative techniques - Using various graft and barrier membranes
- Record maintenance and follow up of all treated cases including implants
- Library dissertation – 1
- Main dissertation – 1
- Seminars – 15(5 per year)
- Journal clubs – 15 (5 per year)
- Case presentations – 15(5 per year)
INNOVATIVE TEACHING METHODS
Outlook is on theoretical excellence but focus is on practical mastery.
Visits to centers of higher learning
Although not a part of the requirement, the post graduate students are taken to scientific research laboratories and animal houses to familiarize with scientific equipment, gadgets and develop a scientific temper and culture. Visits are organised to :
- Institute of Genetics
- Research laboratories and animal houses
- National Institute of Nutrition
- Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
- Centre for cellular and Molecular Biology
Visit to medical departments
- PGs are encouraged to visit the General Medicine department to rediscover their long forgotten medical basis of dental practice.
- They are advised to visit Anatomy dissection hall and once again acquaint themselves with anatomical details which they will encounter in their current practice which most of them learnt in their 1st BDS and forgot entirely.
- Since microbiology forms an integral part of Periodontology, students are made familiar with the growth and culture techniques.
Guest lectures organised :
Extra institutional faculty, Guest speakers are invited to share their knowledge and diversify the outlook of the students. The students attend a plethora of State and National PG conventions, Conferences, CDE prorgrammes and Rapid review programmes.
Acquainted with research methodology :
For a graduate, it is a big leap from the hand-held system of undergraduate teaching to self-reliant system of postgraduate learning. They are expected to do research and acquaint themselves with the know- how’s of research methodology. The PGs are put through a 2-day in-house programme, which orients them accordingly.
Work on simulated models
Self learning without external assistance is facilitated by making the students getting access to preclinical and simulated models and situations. This is in addition to curriculum activity and practiced to a modest level. Simulated training is implemented to a certain extent in teaching Basic life support system.
Students first get the ‘touch and feel” of Lasers and Microsurgery working on chicken thighs or other suitable models. Likewise, soft tissue surgeries are practised on pig/ goat jaws to ensure understanding. Simulab tissue suture pads are used to demonstrate suturing and get the feel of the tissues.